That time when Doctor Who referenced Doctor Who, who then proceeded to reference Doctor Who
I totally caught that :)
Hello, friends. It’s Monday. By now, we pretty much know how your day has been. After coffee, a bagel with butter or cream cheese (live the life you love), and class or work, it’s been a pretty standard day. Well, hopefully, we can add a little flare to it. After three rounds of performances, competing against over fifty of the best bands from along the East Coast,
(Cue drum roll from Bryan)
SAVE THE ARCADIAN HAS BEEN DECLARED THE WINNER OF EMPIRE’S 2014 MID-ATLANTIC BATTLE OF THE BANDS!
“Ooh, child, things are gonna get easier. Ooh child, things will get brighter.”
Bravest Warriors #24 is coming out next week, with this cover I did for it! Here’s some of the process work - I included some explanations this time. I don’t know if it’ll be helpful at all or just… verbose… but hopefully there’s something useful in there :>
2. Tight sketch
3. Rough values painted underneath the sketch
4. Value painting on top of the sketch to tighten things up
5. Flat colors! Regular area fill for set pieces, and a few color/overlay layers to quickly indicate hues in the painting
6. Set lighting: using multiply layers to indicate the overall scene lighting raking across the wall, working out how that will interact with the portrait painting and lead the eye. Also continuing to paint in regular layers on top of the portrait.
7. Warming/brightening up the scene lighting, picking out highlights on the frame, softening some form shadow edges to add dimension, adding some rimlight to Catbug. Continuing to work up the portrait. Adding occlusion shadows under the frame and curtains.
8. Using a lighten layer to better expose and unify the areas of the scene struck by light. Lightening the shadow areas a bit to raise overall tone and prevent stuff from getting lost or too dark.
9. Pushing the lights even further to get a stronger afternoon-light feel and create better separation between light and shadow. Adding a soft glow around the light edges. And dust mote sparkles! :>
wow the maze runner was such a good movie
This is exactly what I thought of every time they said it!
So I guess this thing I made is officially out in the world now! Or will be in a little while. Anyways - I had the great pleasure of getting to do a variant cover for Bravest Warriors #24 which according to this will be out in September :) Also the incomparable jellydraws did one of the other variants!!